DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENTCompany: BREATHE California of Los Angeles County
Date Posted: May 3, 2018
Job Title: Director of Development
Reports to: CEO
FLSA Status: Full Time; Exempt
Organizational Description: BREATHE CALIFORNIA of Los Angeles County (BREATHE LA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization focused on achieving clean air and healthy lungs through research, education, advocacy and technology. The organization runs an array of breathing and health-related educational and outreach programs to increase public awareness about lung-related diseases-including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema and works towards eradicating these diseases. Our programs have provided thousands of schoolchildren with the health education tools necessary to improve their indoor and outdoor environments, manage lung health risks, and prevent related illnesses such as asthma.
As part of this, BREATHE LA provides education to children with asthma and their parents, and adults with emphysema, chronic bronchitis and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) to better understand and manage their disease. BREATHE LA delivers educational programs at more than 100 schools in LA County aimed at tobacco prevention, healthy eating, air pollution and environmental health. The organization also conducts advocacy and awareness programs to increase public awareness of air pollution and promote solutions that will achieve clean air for all.
General Statement of Duties: BREATHE LA is seeking a dynamic, creative, and organized Director of Development who will work under the President, Board of Directors and the Development & Marketing Committee to lead the organization’s fundraising efforts. The Development Director will establish ongoing, long-and short-term goals (along with work plans) for a comprehensive fundraising program, and be responsible for identifying and securing public, private and foundation funding, and monitor progress against its goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Development Director Strategizes and directs fundraising activities, including:
- Planning, directing, and coordinating the organization’s fundraising activities, with an emphasis on cultivating and managing relationships with potential funding sources.
- Establishing and building a robust individual annual giving program.
- Establishing and building a major gift cultivation effort.
- Implementing an online giving program.
- Organizing and implementing a planned giving program.
- Pursuing memorial donations and tribute gifts.
- Facilitating the inclusion of BREATHE LA in regional employers’ employee giving programs.
- Overseeing research and submission of grant proposals to funding sources that are aligned with the needs of the organization and its programs.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive fundraising plan, that includes traditional and innovative fundraising strategies.
- Developing and implementing a direct mail campaign.
- Managing fundraising staff and volunteers.
- Analyzing donor data and trends.
- Overseeing major donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and recognition programs for the organization’s donors.
- Working closely with the President, senior staff and all Board Committees in the development and implementation of their respective programs and events.
- In conjunction with the President and other senior staff, acting as a liaison for the organization, interacting with elected officials, community organizations, businesses, government agencies, foundations, and civic leaders.
- Providing the President and Board of Directors with industry fundraising best-practices information and data for purposes of comparison and planning.
- Managing a development team which includes an Associate Director and a Development Associate.
- MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 5 YEARS OF PROFESSIONAL SENIOR-LEVEL FUNDRAISING LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE (preferably with nonprofits), including corporate, foundation and individual fundraising, planned giving, and major gifts cultivation. (WE WILL NOT CONSIDER RESUMES WITH LESS THAN 5 YEARS EXPERIENCE)
- Experience supervising and managing staff and volunteers
- Experience developing and implementing fund development and marketing strategies.
- Proven experience in online fundraising, major donor solicitation, planned giving, grant-writing, event planning (i.e. golf tournament, gala, etc.) and promotion, business development, and corporate giving.
- Experience working effectively with a variety of constituencies including, but not limited to volunteers, donors and potential donors, local officials, public agencies, corporate philanthropies, and foundations, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors.
- Proven successful track record in six and seven figure gift solicitations.
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Strategic, organized and results-oriented.
- Ability to work well with different skill sets and personal styles.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A commitment to the mission and core values of BREATHE California of Los Angeles County.
- Experience working with Donor Perfect.
- Advanced degree
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict responsibilities that may be assigned.
Salary depending on experience. Competitive compensation and benefits. This is a full-time salaried position (with evening and weekend events occasionally). Excellent work environment. Full time only. EOE.
Apply to email@example.com with cover letter, resume and a related fundraising writing sample.
Due to the large number of qualified applicants who apply, we are only able to respond to those candidates who live in Los Angeles and meet our requirements