Director of DevelopmentCompany: BREATHE California of Los Angeles County
Date Posted: January 27, 2018
BREATHE LA is seeking a dynamic, creative, and organized Director of Development who will work under the President, Board of Directors and the Development & Marketing Committee to lead the organization’s fundraising efforts, including being responsible for identifying and securing private and public funding, planning and executing an annual resource development strategy, and monitoring progress against its goals.
Organizational Description: BREATHE CALIFORNIA of Los Angeles County (BREATHE LA) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization focused on achieving clean air and healthy lungs through research, education, advocacy and technology. The organization runs an array of breathing and health-related educational and outreach programs to increase public awareness about lung-related diseases-including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema and works towards eradicating these diseases. Our programs have provided thousands of schoolchildren with the health education tools necessary to improve their indoor and outdoor environments, manage lung health risks, and prevent related illnesses such as asthma.
As part of this, BREATHE LA provides education to children with asthma and their parents, and adults with emphysema, chronic bronchitis and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) to better understand and manage their disease. BREATHE LA also conducts educational programs aimed at tobacco prevention, healthy eating, and air pollution and environmental health. The organization also conducts advocacy and awareness programs to increase public awareness of air pollution and promote solutions that will achieve clean air for all.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, direct, and coordinate organization’s fundraising activities, with an emphasis on cultivating and managing relationships with potential funding sources.
- Plan special events,
- Organize and implement a planned giving program.
- Oversee research and submission of grant proposals to funding sources that are aligned with the needs of the organization and its programs.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive development plan, that includes traditional and innovative fundraising strategies.
- Manage fundraising staff and volunteers.
- Analyze donor data and trends.
- Oversee major donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and recognition programs for the organization’s donors.
- Solicit event sponsorships and consult on other event-related fundraising activities.
- Work closely with the President, senior staff and all Board Committees in the development and implementation of their respective programs and events.
- In conjunction with the President and other senior staff, act as a liaison for the organization, interacting with elected officials, community organizations, businesses, government agencies, foundations, and civic leaders.
- Participate in planning and implementing special events
- Provide the President and Board of Directors with industry fundraising best-practices information and data for purposes of comparison and planning.
- Minimum 5 years of professional senior-level fundraising leadership experience (preferably with nonprofits), including fundraising, planned giving, marketing, event management, or equivalent combination of education and experience in the non-profit sector.
- Experience supervising and managing staff and volunteers
- Experience developing and implementing fund development and marketing strategies.
- Proven experience in online fundraising, major donor solicitation, grant-writing, event planning (i.e. golf tournament, gala, etc.) and promotion, business development, and corporate giving.
- Experience working effectively with a variety of constituencies including, but not limited to volunteers, donors and potential donors, local officials, public agencies, corporate philanthropies, and foundations, volunteers, staff and Board of Directors.
- Proven successful track record in six and seven figure gift solicitations.
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and entrepreneurial aptitude.
- Strategic, organized and results-oriented.
- Ability to work well with different skill sets and personal styles.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A commitment to the mission and core values of BREATHE CALIFORNIA of Los Angeles County.
- Experience working with Donor Perfect.
- Advanced degree
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe or restrict responsibilities that may be assigned.
Salary depending on experience. Competitive compensation and benefits. This is a full-time salaried position (with evening and weekend events occasionally). Excellent work environment. Fulltime only. EOE.
Apply to email@example.com with cover letter, resume and a related fundraising writing sample.