Director of DevelopmentCompany: Zeta Beta Tau Foundation
Date Posted: January 23, 2018
The Zeta Beta Tau Foundation seeks a full-time Director of Development to direct all aspects of the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation’s development activities, including but not limited to: annual and special fund campaigns; major gifts and planned giving. The successful candidate will cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts for the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation in order to advance the organization’s strategic fundraising goals. This position will also be responsible for developing, and implementing a comprehensive and strategic fundraising program to be implemented by staff and volunteers. She/he will will report to the Senior Director of Development.
About the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation
The Zeta Beta Tau Foundation is a 66-year-old organization that is exclusively committed to educational and charitable purposes that assist the brothers of Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity. The Foundation assists the brothers of Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity by funding scholarships and academic and leadership programs to maximize their personal development and prepare them to be leaders of society. The scholarships and academic and leadership programs funded by the Foundation enhance the overall value of brotherhood in Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity by complementing the collegiate educational experience.
The Zeta Beta Tau Foundation has approximately 1,200 annual donors, dozens of annual academic scholarship recipients and hundreds of annual leadership program attendees located nationwide.
The Zeta Beta Tau Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization with an annual operating budget of approximately $1 million and an endowment of approximately $4 million. The staff includes two full-time employees located in the Atlanta, Georgia area and one full-time employee located in the Phoenix, Ariozona area. In addition, the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation is fortunate to have numerous volunteers located around the United States including a 17-member Board of Directors who provide a diverse range of expertise and perspectives.
Preferred locations (home office):
- New York Tri-State Area
- Southern California Area
- Chicagoland Area
Essential duties and responsibilities
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Supporting and partnering with the Staff and Board members on all major fundraising initiatives
- Developing, managing, and monitoring the organization’s annual and special fund campaigns, including, but not limited to: direct mail, telemarketing, e-solicitation, web gifts, chapter fundraising, and Board fundraising
- Directing strategies for increasing individual and chapter donors and the amount of funds raised on an annual basis
- Coordinate with the Operations Manager to direct ongoing reporting and acknowledgement systems to measure progress toward fundraising goals and to ensure timely and accurate stewardship and tracking of gifts
- Developing, implementing, and managing strategies for identifying, researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors and prospects, and personally managing a portfolio of high-level donors/prospects
- Directing prospect research for major gift potential
- Designing and directing a donor recognition system, including event and communication tactics
- Coordinating the design, marketing, implementation, and monitoring of the organization’s planned giving/bequest program in accordance with fiscal and legal requirements
- Designing, implementing, and managing organizational special events, including, but not limited to, International Convention and other events to increase individual giving, to expand the constituency base, and to enhance the visibility of the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation
- Serving as a spokesperson for the organization and frequently communicating with a variety of audiences about the mission of the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation (requires some travel within the United States)
- Identifying, developing, and mentoring development staff and volunteers
Preferred Education and Experience
Our ideal candidate has:
- A bachelor’s degree and five years of relevant experience in direct fundraising, fund development and/or business development
- Successful fundraising experience with an emphasis on the demonstrated ability to work with individual donors and success in asking and closing on major and planned gifts
- Hands-on experience with donor database/software systems supporting fundraising activities
- Proven experience effectively directing and managing staff and volunteers
- Proven experience managing budgets and goals
- Familiarity and/or experience with a similar organization and/or the mission of the Zeta Beta Tau Foundation is a plus
Our ideal candidate has:
- A flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
- Strong analytical and quantitative abilities
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel within the United States
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Benefits (Full-time only)
Group Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Plan, Vision Plan, Short/Long Term Disability, Paid Holidays, 401(k) retirement plan with an employer match and PTO.
The Zeta Beta Tau Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Interested candidates should send their resume, salary requirements and cover letter describing their qualifications and interest in the position to Faron A. Lewitt, Chief Executive Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.