Emergency Response Staff AttorneyCompany: Coalition to Abolish Slavery & Trafficking (CAST)
Date Posted: January 9, 2018
Summary of Position
The Emergency Response Staff Attorney will be responsible for responding to urgent calls from law enforcement, agencies, and survivors themselves for legal assistance and advice. The ER Staff Attorney will also provide ongoing comprehensive legal services to survivors of human trafficking including assisting clients seek immigration, criminal and civil relief, with an emphasis on criminal victim-witnesses advocacy and United States citizen survivors. This is a full- time, exempt position.
- Respond to all ER breaking cases during normal business hours, coordinate rotation with staff attorneys for ER on-call during nonbusiness hours
- Assume caseload of trafficked clients
- Develop and implement creative, alternate legal strategies to assist trafficked persons
- Work collaboratively with social services and shelter staff
- Provide outreach and training to legal aid organizations, law firms, and law enforcement to assist trafficked clients
- Participate in LAPD task force for human trafficking victims
- Coordinate ongoing legal emergency response protocol and safety efforts.
- Support CAST’s involvement with DA diversion program and LA county wide protocol
- Participate in legal emergency response efforts; and
- Respond to Emergency Response breaking cases in rotation with legal team in support of CAST’s 24-hour ER services.
Essential Skills and Requirements
- Active membership in the California State Bar required
- At least 1 year experience in the practice of law, preferably with a focus in year’s criminal law and procedure.
- Commitment to serving the needs of trafficked persons, migrants, youth and low wage workers
- Prior experience working cooperatively with law enforcement.
- Ability to develop cooperative relationships with other legal service providers in areas relevant to trafficked persons (includes family, employment and criminal law)
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with trafficked persons, legal organizations, community based organizations, volunteer lawyers, and government agencies
- Experience developing and providing trainings to diverse groups
- Knowledge of trafficking and the issues affecting trafficked persons
- Familiarity with the rights of victims of crime and resources available to them
- Experience in a legal services program
- Experience advocating for trafficked persons human rights in governmental and non-governmental contexts, preferably in California or at the federal level.
Cast offers a generous benefit package; medical, life, disability, paid sick/vacation time, professional development opportunities, and a 403(b) plan. All benefits are 100% company paid for employee, and 80% paid for dependents. We also offer an employee assistance program, and a SEP IRA retirement at 3% non-matching contribution. Additionally, we offer you an opportunity to work with a team of committed individuals in an innovative culture that values its employees, where you are supported and given every chance to succeed.
Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit https://cast.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=4 to apply for this position. Due to the high volume of resumes received only qualified candidates will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
CAST is an equal opportunity employer. Selection will be based solely on merit and will be without discrimination because of age, race, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.