Director of DevelopmentCompany: Pasadena Waldorf School
Date Posted: May 30, 2017
Position Title: Director of Development
Reporting To: Business Administrator
The Director of Development is responsible for creating, supporting, and overseeing plans and activities that contribute to the growth and health of the school using current development, fundraising, and communications practices, modified as needed to reflect the values inherent to Waldorf education.
Through the cultivation and stimulation of development relationships, the Director of Development will help secure current and future sources of increasing revenue and support. The Director of Development will facilitate programs that improve the perception, awareness, and understanding of the school, both internally and externally.
The Director of Development will report to the Business Administrator who reports to the Board of Trustees. S/he is a member of the administrative staff and the Community Development sub-group. S/he works with the Board of Trustees and the Board’s Development Committee, and College of Teachers to ensure collaboration and a shared understanding of the stated goals of the school.
The Director of Development will be an ex-officio member of the Board of Trustees and the Board Development Committee. Other committee work may be required as needed.
The Director of Development oversees all facets of the development, fundraising, and, in partnership with the Admissions office, the community outreach work of the school.
Development and Fundraising
- Lead the development and presentation of the school’s strategic long-range and annual development plans for Board of Trustee’s approval.
- Provide leadership – vision, planning, management – to the development staff in achieving the fundraising goals detailed in the development plans.
- The strategic long-range plan to incorporate action plans for
- reaching annual campaign goals
- the cultivation, solicitation and securing of major gifts and/or capital gifts
- facilitating grant applications
- endowment and planned giving programs
- developing the PWS alumni and grandparent networks.
- Oversee the maintenance of complete and accurate donor records. Ensure that all donors receive appropriate recognition and acknowledgement, including all relevant tax deduction materials.
- Foster Board of Trustees annual giving.
- Submit monthly Development Department Board Report detailing goal progress and activities.
- Foster the growth of volunteer leadership within the school; inspire, engage, advise, and support volunteers in their connection to the mission of the school.
- In consultation with the Business Administrator, responsible for the selection, hiring, review and professional development of the development office staff.
Communications and Outreach
- Help create communications strategies for both internal and external community relationship-building.
- Provide leadership and guidance for school communications and outreach efforts, including community messaging of important issues, events, plans, and updates; press releases, neighbor relations; strategies for outreach, collateral materials, website, social media, and marketing.
The ideal candidate for Director of Development will be a person with five years of successful fund development experience, including major donor cultivation. Understanding of Waldorf education, and/or an educational work environment is essential. Experience in business and cultural aspects of non-profit organizations, especially schools, is desirable. Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; familiarity with development data management, graphic design, social media, marketing software, and fundraising software is important. Outstanding ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing. Confidentiality and personal equanimity are essential.
Compensation and Hours
The position is year-round, full time, salaried. Benefits include full family medical and dental coverage, tuition remission for employee’s children attending Pasadena Waldorf School, a retirement plan, and life insurance. To apply send letter of interest, resume, and three references to Douglas Garrett, Business Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org. With any questions please contact same.