Vice President of Strategic PartnershipsCompany: Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
Date Posted: May 18, 2017
Strategic Partnerships Position - Vice President
The Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce (Chamber) represents 1,600+ member businesses throughout Los Angeles County. The Chamber is Southern California’s leading business advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening our economy and quality of life through job creation, workforce development, infrastructure investment and business development. www.lachamber.com.
UNITE-LA, an affiliate of the Chamber, is an independent 501(c)3 focused on transforming Los Angeles’ public education system cradle-to-career to ensure ALL youth have access to higher education and pursuit of a fulfilling and economically sustainable career. UNITE-LA does this by working in partnership with the business community and the Chamber through three distinct but interdependent areas: Policy, Programming and Systems Change. www.unitela.com
The L.A. Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation (Chamber Foundation), a tax-exempt, non-profit organization, carries out the charitable and education objectives of the L.A. Chamber, championing collaborative approaches that include the business community in order to ensure that L.A. embraces a comprehensive cradle-to-career approach to transforming our education and workforce development systems.
Reporting to the Chamber’s Executive Vice President of the Center for Education Excellence and Talent Development/President of UNITE-LA, the Vice President of Strategic Partnerships position leads fundraising and development efforts for UNITE-LA and the Chamber Foundation and serves as the principal steward and coordinator of funding efforts and strategic philanthropic relationships.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), Exempt level position. Benefits include: Vacation Time; Sick Time; Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA); Long Term Disability; Life Insurance, 401(k) and commuter/transportation benefits (Metro TAP and Metro-Link Corporate Program).
Funder Identification, Cultivation and Stewardship
- Identify, cultivate and maintain strong relationships with philanthropic and corporate funders to advance the work of UNITE-LA and the Chamber Foundation helping to position the organization as a thought partner and education/workforce development leader with funders.
- Show initiative and creativity in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of corporations and foundations, locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Pro-actively understand the funding community’s current and future direction; identify foundation RFPs and other funding opportunities; and provide information and support to the organization’s senior program leads (Directors) for new proposals and applications.
- Serve as a credible and effective organizational spokesperson, represent senior management, and demonstrate the ability to engage and pitch prospective funders.
- Ensure that donors experience high-quality interactions with the organization that foster long-term engagement and investment.
- Lead, support and write grant proposals, eliciting input from Directors to develop work plans and program designs.
- Lead, support and develop impact reports summarizing program deliverables and accomplishments.
Lead Organizational Fund Development Efforts
- Lead the Division providing vision, direction, and a strategic plan for advancing the organization’s development, stewardship, fundraising, planned giving, government/corporate relations and donor relations.
- Lead, coordinate and support the development team and Directors in achieving overall organizational fundraising goals.
- Foster the Directors’ and development team’s skills and abilities to execute effective fund development activities.
- Assist Chamber membership team in the development of joint proposals for corporate funding.
- Assist Chamber affiliate programs Bixel Exchange and Southern California Leadership Network in development of funding strategies, capacity building, and increasing effectiveness of grant writing, as needed.
Strategic Leadership and Direction
- Provide strategic and tactical guidance to Directors to build capacity, develop area-specific fundraising strategies, support cultivation of relationships by program leads, and increase effectiveness of grant proposals.
- In partnership with Directors, develop goals for each area of responsibility and identify resources needed for goals to be realized.
- Lead Directors in creation of long term and annual plans to achieve annual fundraising goals, work plans, reporting, and program budgets through the coordination of development activities.
Marketing and Communications
Coordinate with Marketing and Communications on integrating development/strategic partnerships into communications and build strategic communications strategy.
- Devise and implement effective external messaging and methods to advance development efforts.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Executive Vice President and President/CEO.
- Demonstrated track record of securing $5-7 million annually through grants, government contracts, and individual donations—including demonstrated record of writing a large volume of quality grant proposals with high success rate
- Experience developing logic models, work plans, project designs and outcome statements
- Team player, experienced with staff coordination, project management, foundation relations, and board development
- Excellent communication, organizational, and social skills—including demonstrated ability to work well with colleagues, volunteers, and external partners
- Interest in and commitment to the mission of UNITE-LA
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Availability for local evening events and national travel
- Bachelor’s degree required; post-graduate degree preferred
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in nonprofits and philanthropic fundraising preferred
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires:
- Work that may be performed in an intense, fast-paced office environment, depending upon assignment.
- Requires reliable transportation to attend off-site meetings and events.
- Requires ability to understand verbal communication and to respond effectively.
- Positions in this class typically require: reaching, typing, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, standing for long periods of time and repetitive motions in computer use.
- Requires learning and adapting new software.
The Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to promoting a culturally diverse workforce. All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, gender, or national origin.
If interested in applying, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, please include in the subject line of the email: “Vice President-Strategic Partnerships.”