AFP Top Ten Fundraising Tips for the Week (December 6, 2017): Crowdfunding, Lifestyle Giving, Year-End Giving & More!
Need some tips on how to do your job better? Or maybe just a reminder on some key skills, the insight on the latest research, and the latest, coolest ideas from the best minds in the fundraising profession?
Each week, AFP gathers the top blog posts, videos, articles and other resources to help you keep on top of latest trends and reach your fundraising goals. Here’s this week’s Top Ten:
1. Why Crowdfunding Transcends Charity as We Know It (NonProfit PRO): Crowdfunding is much more than a glorified “donate” button, an extension of your website, or digitizing correspondence. Modern crowdfunding transcends anything we’ve done in the past, and its potential to transform the world is much, much greater than the sum of its parts.
2. What Is Lifestyle Giving and Why Is It Becoming So Popular? (Charity Digital News): Lifestyle giving can be defined as the act of donating through pre-existing habits or channels. The donor can give back to charity without deviating from their original task, activity, or lifestyle choices. The vast majority of the time, it’s free for donors to donate too, opening up a whole host of benefits and opportunities for charities to grasp on to.
3. Keeping your Nonprofit Safe and Happy Online: Dealing with Harassment (Beth’s Blog): Online harassment is more prevalent than ever, with harassers using recent political events as a catalyst to target organisations helping vulnerable people. Here’s a little guide and flowchart to help charities unsure of how to handle any negativity online.
4. How to Capitalize on the Giving Tuesday Buzz, After Giving Tuesday (Classy): How your organization fares after Giving Tuesday is determined by how you respond to the people who take interest in your cause. Giving Tuesday is a unique event, but it requires the same follow up and reengagement as any other fundraising campaign.
5. Year End Giving: The Step-by-Step Guide for Nonprofits (Mobile Cause): A nice online guide will show you how to create a year-end fundraising campaign that will effectively reach the hearts and wallets of donors during this spike in end of year donations.
6. A Guide to Getting Started on Using Hashtags on LinkedIn (Strong Content): Up until recently, hashtags were frowned upon when used on LinkedIn because they were a telltale sign of cross-posting content from Twitter (a big no-no). Not anymore.
7. Powerful Connections: The Journey from Fear to Bold Asking™ (Part 1) (Vision Philanthropy Group): Part one of an eight-part series about transforming both donors and organizations. Neat piece on making connections and fear of talking about money.
8. How to Make a Personal Plan for Giving (The New York Times): Nice tips to pass on to donors, and a good reminder on that we have to make clear why people should give to you.
9. Five Ways to Improve Your Fundraising Next Year (Donor Drive): Here is a short list of the five most important things a nonprofit could do to improve their peer-to-peer fundraising next year.
10. Commission on the Donor Experience Project 23: Small Charities (SOFII): A look at the work of the Commission on the Donor Experience through the perspective of small charities. Lots of good ideas for charities around the world.